Our Church has been made possible through a great deal of volunteer labor and money – from the beginning up to the present time.
The Church started when the Ladies Aid raised $40.00 to buy the one half acre of land. Gertrude Magill even asked the merchants in town for donations to help build the church.
In 1955, sixty-two of the island residents contributed $305.00 towards drilling the well, the pump, etc. Volunteer labor dug the ditch for the pipe from the hall to the church. It was 1958 when the “powder room” was added.
In 1964, the hall underwent extensive remodeling. Some of the labor was hired and paid for, but there was also much volunteer help. It was a time of a new roof, new foundation and a new floor. The stage was removed and a furnace installed.
The memorial funds of H.W. Whicker and Lage Wernstedt, supplemented by the club, were used for renovation and remodeling of the kitchen. In 1965, the memorial fund for Bob Howard was used to buy the light fixtures in the hall. The siding was put on and painted in 1966.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.